Friday, July 15, 2016

     We spent this morning writing extensively about the trip yesterday, and here are some brief excerpts from three writers:

From Maxwell Barnes:
Big London day today. Mr. Blain brought us into central London to do a variety of very cool things. First, we got into St. Paul's cathedral, a place I've been to before. Although I distinctly remembered many key components of the place, I spent a long time contemplating how much I've evolved and grown since that spring of 2013. Before High School. Before Woodberry. I am much less innocent than the first time I has scaled the steps of St. Paul's, but now, on the brink of adulthood, I am more prepared now by the things I have done in between these two very similar moments. The view at the top of the Cathedral overlooking London was just as breathtaking as it had been since what feels like a very long time ago.

From Thomas Bledsoe
The lunch wrap I had was very good, but the real story happened when we saw a man just a few feet in front of us get pick-pocketed. We walked up after he had realized his wallet was missin, and he was violently shoving and pushing people looking for the thief. The look on his face was of pure distress and fear. One man he roughed up actually pointed to the person he believed had done it. The alleged thief was pushing his way through the crowd. The victim plowed through the crowd and grabbed him. He quickly found his wallet on him and took it back. As the thief tried to flee the scene, the man took a swing at him but it didn't connect. The situation could've been a lot messier if the thief had a weapon or resisted more. I do remember one of the women who he had pushed out of the way saying, "I know he lost his wallet. He doesn't have to be that rude." I remember thinking how ridiculous that was. He was clearly hurt, stressed, and embarrassed by the whole thing.

From Jack Hallow
We traveled from Saint Paul's Cathedral to the Globe theater. Once we had gotten there, I could feel the excitement grow inside of me. We were finally here, a place that could be a major highlight of the trip. The complex had a ticket booth, cafe, and a souvenir shop inside of it. We walked right past all of those distractions straight towards the Globe. Even though this was just a recreation of the original Globe theater, it could still capture my imagination. It looked so much like how I pictured it would be. I couldn't help but wonder how close it was to looking like the original. Around the outside of the Globe booths were selling the wooden equivalent of a lazy boy. John C. told us that these were completely necessary to buy because the seats did not have and backrests. We all decided to get them, and that was probably the best decision I made that day. Now we were ready to enter the theater. we went inside and took our seats. There were people on all sides of the globe, as well as a mosh pit of people standing around the stage. The theater was completely outdoors, so it could have rained on them at anytime. Then out of nowhere the show started. In addition to the great casting, I loved every minute of it, and I think it was definitely one of the best shows I have ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment