Wednesday, July 20, 2016

     From Michael Warren:
    As I sit here on a bench beside a graveyard, I cannot help but think about what it means to have a lasting impact on the world. This weekend we have been privileged to go and see some of the most time-worn places in all of Great Britain: the Roman baths at Bath, the prehistoric stones and long barrow grave at Avebury, and the near-thousand-year-old Winchester Cathedral. And now, on Sunday evening sitting in the shadow of an old country church dating back to the 1160s, I am wondering how I can do something that will last as long as these things have. This weekend I have observed architectural feats that have blown my mind; I cannot fathom how the people who built them were able to do so so many years ago. Yet, they succeeded, and the structures remain there today, thousands of years later.

      From Patrick Scruggs:
      A few days ago we drove to Winchester to visit the cathedral and college. The cathedral was massive and beautiful. It is really breathtaking to think that people in the 11th century could make such an amazing building with such great architecture similarly to my amazement with the Roman Coliseum and other famous structures. I thought the best part of the cathedral was the wall behind the altar that was surrounded by wooden boards. The wall had so many precise details and fine marks that it's hard to comprehend how they could do it. I think the cathedral is one of the coolest places we've seen here so far, but it's hard to say though because we have seen so many great places.

      From Dawson Duckworth:
      During our last morning trip to London we went to the Tower of London. The main exhibit I had been looking forward to seeing was the Royal Crown jewels. I made my way into the queue that was supposed to take half an hour but instead took five minutes. We entered the building and roamed through the dark corridors. We saw mighty staffs and swords in massive glass cases and turned the corner to enter into the main room. The room was astonishing with all of the gold plates and decorative items shining at me. A spoon several centuries old was the first item I walked past. The all-gold utensil had jewels decorating the handle and sides. Along with the spoon we walked onto the conveyor that sent us past the royal crowns. Each crown's jewels shone brightly through the glass casings. About eight crowns were lined up, and before I had time to really look at them all I was sent off the conveyor belt and left the building. I had left seeing some of the most beautiful crowns in the world, making the searing hot trip worth it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment